Fixing the Feed

Please click on this post if you see summaries only.

I believe in giving full feeds in my blog posts as I want to make it as easy for you to consume content.

I’ve received about a half a dozen messages that my feed has been acting screwy lately, and you know how I want to continue to share and help my readers. Some are reporting that they are seeing a partial feed or summary. My buddy Matt Dunlap found there was a small piece of code in one my my posts that was the culprit which I’ve since removed. (and no, I’m not using the ‘more’ tag)

I changed one of the feedburner settings and some readers are seeing some of my posts show up as new, even though they’ve already read them.

Now, things appears somewhat back to normal, as I asked my Twitter network if they see a partial or full feed, and it was a mixed result. I’m not going to touch it for a while (as I have wordpress set to full) so I’m wondering if some of the feedreaders need to propagate the changes, or some other black magic.

Someone from China messaged me and said that Feedburner is not supported in China, so they have to subscribe to my default wordpress feed, that clearly shows that Feedburner can’t keep track of all the subscribers.

So, for now, if you’re seeing a partial feed, that was unintentional, and Ill soon have it corrected. So please come directly to these posts if you’re having an issue. I’ll update this post until everything is resolved and full feeds will be seen by all.

Hang with me while this gets resolved, in the meantime you could try resubscribing and deleting the old partial feed.

16 Replies to “Fixing the Feed”

  1. Yes, I saw those old posts, and today the feed is still partial, this is where it’s cut off:

    “my feed has been acting screwy lately, and you know …”

  2. Jeremiah, I noticed that too. Yesterday, my feed updated and showed most of your posts from the past month or so that I had already seen, but this time just the summaries. This post came in to my reader with just a summary as well. – CB

  3. Yes, J. Summaries only. Starting with “People On The Move” 1/13/08. Prior to that, full text.

  4. Greetings from FeedBurner/Google-land. The issue here is that you’re not redirecting your feeds to FeedBurner, and your auto-discovery is pointing to 3 separate WP-generated feeds. 2 of those feeds (the RSS and ATOM variants) are partial feeds, while one (the /feed one) is a full feed. And none of those currently point to your FeedBurner feed.

    So… installing the WordPress plugin:

    will fix all of this. It will ensure that all requests for your feeds go to the same place (your FeedBurner feed, which is a full feed).

    Added bonus – you’ll know how many subscribers you have (currently you’re just counting subscribers to your FeedBurner feed). 🙂

    Hope that helps.

  5. Hey Jeremiah,

    I actually get a lot of questions about format issues and messed up feeds. XML and RSS is finicky. It usually comes down to encoding issues with post content. In your case the feed would have magically re-appeared in a couple days once the post move off the most recent article feed, but it would have messed up any feed based on searches where that article is queried.

    For future reference, to fix the feed just start taking your most recent posts, and setting the status of that post to draft or private. Keep doing that until the feed works again… Then look for funky formatting issues with the post in question.

    Or, just call me, I’m glad to help.

    BTW, I’m getting your full feed in on my igoogle homepage

  6. Rick

    Thanks for your very rapid support, I tweeted you (at the request of Constantin) and you responded within seconds, amazing.

    I’ve done the suggestions you’ve made, let’s see what happens.

    Thanks for being so responsive.

  7. Yesterday, when I was working on the feed, when I click on the rss icon in the firefox url box, it would retrieve your articles from

    and the subscribe button in your blog would retrieve articles from feed burner.

    Today, is redirecting to feedburner, which is only displaying excerpts of your posts.

    my igoogle reader for your blog was linked to and is now broken. I added your feedburner feed and now my igoogle reader is displaying partial content

  8. THanks Matt

    I’m hoping that by using the Feedburner plugin that all feeds will aggregate there, and it will push out one single FULL post feed. (and I’ll have comprehensive metrics)

    Thanks again

  9. Only partial in Google reader, and I think I had this situation since yesterday.
    Before that I got complete posts

    Keep up the great work

Comments are closed.