I, along with my colleagues at Kaleido Insights, have started a new research stream (a series of publications) in the area of Modern Wellbeing. Technology is impacting yet another massive movement which will cause significant ripples across society, economies, and business models.
Over a decade agoI was analyzing how social technology democratized information, forever changing communications, media, marketing, and even governments. About five years ago, I dove in deep on the Collaborative/Sharing Economy, where yet again, technology empowered humans to take commerce into their own handsThey could get what they needed from peers. Both of these trends continue to also have impact to the economy, society, human interactions and beyond.
Now I see yet another movement – the Modern Wellbeing market, which enables humans to take healthcare, mental care, physical care, directly into their own hands. They are (for better or for worse) self-analyzing their bodies and minds with consumer technologies and relying on each other, and emerging AI systems to self-prescribe ways to help them be healthier, improve their mood, and beyond. We’ve interviewed over 50 startups and larger organizations in this space and see this market shaping up, all across the globe.
Interestingly, a number of industries are starting to take notice. Not just the typical ones you’d expect like healthcare, insurance, and pharma, but also some unlikely ones like:
- Airlines are integrating mindfulness apps into entertainment units, and pre-boarding experience,
- Auto companies are preparing for autonomous rides, with the ability to shape a mood, or be productive,
- Hotels are offering “Welltality” services to help customers calm, relax, or generate energy for the day,
- Home developers are building smarter homes with soothing lights, air, and more, controlled via AI,
- Offices are adhering to “Well” industry standards to improve employee wellness in environment and collaboration,
- HR departments are offering solutions beyond a gym/medical access – they’re offering mindfulness and productivity programs,
- Enterprise software companies, are considering how to integrate focus and mindfulness features into productivity tools,
- Consumer packaged goods and retailers want to impact how consumers feel and change their lives,
- Luxury brands are climbing up Maslow’s pyramid to unlock their brand promise beyond peer acceptance and esteem,
- Media companies, gaming, and even social networking companies realize their impact on societal well being,
You’ll see continued written insights from me on this blog about this newest trend that impacts all humans, and society as a whole, as well as on Twitter where I’ll share more up to date market findings. If you have a suggestion of where I should look, please send me a note at jeremiah@ kaleidoinsights.com
The below infographic, which we’ve shared prior, is a great overview of how technology (AI, mixed reality, big data, social, IoT, blockchain and beyond) is and will impact our minds, bodies, communities and physical spaces around us.